Marija Pejčinović-Burić, SECRETARY GENERAL OF THE COUNCIL OF EUROPE,
Sponsor XL International Festival Sarajevo Winter 2024.
Ibrahim Spahić, director of the International Sarajevo Sarajevo Winter Festival, on the occasion of the decision he received from the Council of Europe that the XL edition of the Festival will be held under the auspices of Marija Pejčinović Burić, Secretary General of the Council of Europe, pointed out that this is an exceptional recognition of the artists of Bosnia and Herzegovina and Europe and the world which the Council of Europe has been awarding to the Festival since 1993.
When the Council of Europe, the common house of human rights and freedoms of Europe, grants its high patronage for 30 years (since 1993) to the Sarajevo Winter, the first edition of which was held in 1984 in Sarajevo after the XIV ZOI, I want to say that we share our pride with the Sarajevo audience, artists and media and the wonderful city of Sarajevo, which awarded us the 6th of April Award in 1998.
The Council of Europe was a participant and partner with IPC and Sarajevo Winter:
- The most significant solidarity convoy in February 1993 "Europe-Alsace-Sarajevo",
- "Sarajevo, the cultural capital of Europe" from 21.12.1993-21.3.1994. with the support of all cultural capitals and especially Lisbon and Antwerp,
- "X Biennale of Young Artists of Europe and the Mediterranean" 2001.
- Promotions of the First World Competition for the Construction of Concert Hall Sarajevo at Marijin Dvor,
- Euro Regional campaign "Link diversity" for the renewal of citizenship and civil society in 2001-2002,
- "Sarajevo, the first intercultural city of the Council of Europe" from 21.12.2003 to 21.12.2004,
- Celebrating 50 years of the European Convention on Culture in 2004,
- Organization of the first workshops on the cultural industry in Europe, exhibitions and 10 international conferences on local democracy with mayors and civil society of BiH in the cities of Sarajevo, Mostar, Banja Luka, Tuzla, Srebrenica, Travnik, Prijedor and Brčko,
- Formation of Bosnian regions,
- Houses of Europe Sarajevo,
- The first congress of representatives of national minorities in Bosnia and Herzegovina,
- To create the Strategy of the cultural policy of BiH and the development of BiH and Euro-regional cooperation...
In order to mark the cultural bridge between Sarajevo from City hall, from the shores of Miljacka river and the Sarajevo National Theatre, Bobur in Paris and La Monnaie Opera in Brussels and a hundred other cities and cultural centres, which was opened on 21 December 1993, we will hold a special program of the Museum of Peace and Freedom and the Cultural Forum of BiH on the banks of Mak Dizdar and Kulin Ban, in the first headquarters of Sarajevo Winter in the Austrian House, the Festina Lente bridge and on the streets and squares of the city and the Olympic mountains and other locations and dedicate them to all citizens and artists and peacemakers by drawing the attention of the public on the sculptures Cyclists// Enes Sivac, Sun Clock / Stijepo Gavrić and Kentauromahia Re/Born/ Alma Suljević.
Art team SWF announced an international competition on the occasion of the 70th anniversary of the European Convention on Culture of the Council of Europe on the topic: Cultural Olympiad Sarajevo 2025.
Spahić issued a public invitation to artists and art institutions and cities in Bosnia and Herzegovina to celebrate the XL edition of Sarajevo Winter, which will take place from February 7. until 21.3.2024, and with their participation answer the MOTO SWF:
CULTURE OLYMPICS: CREATIVE, ALTERNATIVE, FANTASTIC!
IPC/SWF press centre